Asbestos news – Widow of former Bristol Water engineer wins compensation
Her husband began working for the utility company in the 1950s as an engineer, leaving the firm’s employment in 1992. During this time he was regularly exposed to asbestos and was not provided with personal protective clothing which may have reduced the health risks posed by the material.
The man did not suffer any health problems until September 2010 when he began to have chest pains and feel breathless. He was diagnosed with mesothelioma and sadly died in 2011 at the age of 73.
Bristol Water admitted liability for the man’s asbestos-related death, and the widow has received £290,000 in mesothelioma compensation.
A spokesperson for the company has stated, “In modern times, stringent safety measures have been introduced to avoid the risk of hazardous substances such as asbestos being disturbed and inhaled by employees.”News