on your side

Commercial building fire causes asbestos concern

17th January 2013

This action was taken after the Health Protection Agency raised concerns that there may be asbestos in the smoke coming from the premises.

In any buildings constructed or refurbished before the year 2000, there is a risk that asbestos is present in some of the structure’s materials. Asbestos can cause various severe health conditions such as mesothelioma and asbestosis.

Police drove around the surrounding area warning those living in proximity to the smoke, via loud speakers, that they should remain indoors and close any doors and windows they might have open.

Roads around the commercial property were also closed to reduce the risk of anyone inhaling the potentially hazardous fibres released by damaged or disturbed asbestos.

No one in the burning building was hurt. Police are still investigating the incident. A spokesman states, “it is too early to say if this was deliberate or not.”

News
Please recommend us if you liked this post: