Chocolate factory work injury
The man, who had been working at a chocolate factory at the time of the incident, was cleaning a depositor, which pipes liquid chocolate into moulds, when his left index finger became caught by the machine’s stirrer, which had not been turned off.
The finger was partially severed and was later amputated in hospital. The employee required three months off work to recover before returning to his previous post.
As well as the machine still being operational during the cleaning, a Health and Safety Executive investigation found that the machine’s dangerous parts were unsuitably guarded.
The company was fined £5,000 and paid court costs of £3,485 after pleading guilty to breaching The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.
If you have suffered a non-fault work injury, George Ide’s accident at work solicitors could help you claim the compensation you deserve from your employers.News