on your side

Slip and trip accident | Personal injury solicitors

For many of us a slip and trip accident at work will mean a splash or two of spilled coffee on our desk or perhaps a slightly embarrassing moment involving dropped files. But if a slip or trip at work causes a fall down stairs, or into machinery, the consequences can be catastrophic.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has produced a downloadable leaflet, entitled Preventing Slips and Trips at Work to help employers recognise and prevent risks to workers and the general public of slips and trips.

According to the HSE, more than a third of annual reported major injuries are caused by slipping or tripping, and these types of accidents are the most common cause of workplace injuries.

Personal injury solicitors are often required to represent workers who have suffered a slip or trip-related fall at work and who have suffered injury as a result. Some injuries are fairly minor, but when an accident has caused life-altering injury, and it occurred as a result of negligence on the part of an employer, manager or work colleague, then the injured person has the civil right to claim personal injury compensation.

Preventing Slips and Trips at Work

The HSE say that a good management system will help employers identify problem areas in the workplace and will help them plan, organise, control, monitor and review risks.

Employees and the general public are protected by a number of laws and sets of regulations pertaining to safety. If employers or managers fail to act within the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, the Management of Health and Safety Regulations 1999, or the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992, and a personal injury accident ensues, the injured party has the right to make a claim for compensation through the civil courts.

A work accident which has caused a major injury or fatality will be investigated by the HSE and if a successful prosecution against those in charge is made, the injured party will almost certainly be able to claim personal injury compensation from the firm’s liability insurers.

Where no HSE investigation has been made, it is still possible to bring a claim for compensation against an employer or workplace manager and the advice and representation of experienced personal injury solicitors, such as those at George Ide LLP, will be invaluable in these circumstances.

Claiming compensation after a slip and trip accident at work

The personal injury team at George Ide in Chichester, West Sussex can help you if you have suffered a slip and trip accident injury at work.

Our personal injury solicitors and legal executives all have many years’ experience in ensuring clients receive maximum compensation with the minimum of fuss. We will be pleased to discuss with you, in complete confidence, the circumstances surrounding your accident and we will be able to advise you of the likelihood of success in making a claim.

To find out more about the team, please click on the personnel profiles on this page, or use the direct contact details to call or email the team today.